[TUHS] Typing tutors

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Mon Feb 8 03:43:38 AEST 2021

On 2/6/21 2:38 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2021, Mary Ann Horton wrote:
>
>> I learned on a manual typewriter in 7th grade, but I got fast on a
>> keypunch. To this day i don't use the right shift key, because it
>> didn't work on a keypunch.
>
> The 026 (ugh!), or the 029?

I had to Google for an image of the 026 - yuck!  The image of an 029
matches what I recall.
>> At Berkeley, everybody was already a touch typist. That's why vi
>> commands emphasize lower case letters, especially hjkl which are
>> right under the home position. The original reason for hjkl was the
>> ADM3A, but when I added arrow key support to vi and disabled the
>> hardcoded hjkl, a line of grad students made me put it back.
>
> I'm not surprised :-)  We were all playing "rogue" back then.  And my
> favourite terminal was indeed the ADM-3A; it just seemed to be
> designed for Unix, with the ESC key in the right place etc.

I hated it when the PC-AT came along and moved Ctrl down and Esc up! I
depend on Ctrl being to the left of A and Esc left of 1, where God
intended them to be! I used a Sun keyboard with a DIN adapter for years,
until I came to SDG&E in 2007 and discovered a cache of USB Sun
keyboards, half with the UNIX layout (yay!) and half with the PC layout
(boo!) Word got around quickly that I liked them, and I wound up with
several UNIX layout Sun keyboards. For good measure, I bought a 10-pack
on eBay, so I'll have spares until the day they peel my cold dead
fingers away from my UNIX layout keyboard.

     Mary Ann