[TUHS] [TUHS} Typing Tutor [and tuhs archive]

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Tue Feb 9 09:46:21 AEST 2021

It was very probably a precursor to this product on a VMS DECUS tape:

https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/decus/vax83c/harris/aaareadme.txt

This is from '83 but the one I was using was pre 79.

Funny story: the account to run the typing tutor had an open login.

The login had unlimited credit on JANET, the uk pre-internet X25
network. JANET was driving cost recovery models, so data was
"budgeted" with real world money.

I used the typing tutor login to make X29 PAD calls over JANET from
York to Edinburgh to "talk" to my dad who was on EMAS at edinburgh
uni. It was nice.

I spent GBP200 of JANET "credits" and got caught at the end-of-month
by the accounts team in the computer centre, hauled up before the
professor for "hacking" and was formally reprimanded and required not
to do it again (tm).

Hacker career over before end of first term of first year university.