[TUHS] Macs and future unix derivatives

Angel M Alganza ama at ugr.es
Fri Feb 12 23:48:11 AEST 2021

On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 10:32:03AM -0800, Justin Coffey wrote:

> My question then is, are there any examples of projects that maintained
> discipline, focus and relevance over years/decades that serve as counter
> examples to the above statement(s)?  OpenBSD?  Go?  Is there anything to
> learn here?

I think OpenBSD, yes, and also Haiku.  Every so often somebody argues
that they need to do this or that, and release an stable (not beta)
version, if they want to compete with orher OS.  Their answer is always
that they will release it when it's ready and that they aren't try to
compete for a "market" share or anything, but ship a good product when
it's right.  I don't know if that will remain true after they ship R1
(binary compatible with BeOS R5), or if they will feel free to start
adding things in for other reasons than making the best OS they can, and
frack it up.  I hope not!

Regards.
Ángel