[TUHS] banner (was troff was not so widely usable)

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Sun Feb 14 10:27:30 AEST 2021

Picture tapes. I had a collection of 20 or so. A few of them were girly
pictures, but there were several excellent ones. Nemoy as Spock holding
a model of the Enterprise. Neil Armstrong on the moon. My favorite was
the PSA grinning bird over the San Francisco Bay - it was 8 strips wide.
FORTRAN carriage control to cause overstriking. I recently got my
collection read off the magtape.

My understanding was the a photo was scanned at 256 grayscale levels,
and the program let you tune the contrast with 16 gray levels of
different overstrikes, ranging from 4 blanks to M, W, X, @ overstruck.

There's a tool called asa2pdf that can turn the carriage control files
into PDF, but printing on a laser printer leads to a chore with an
office paper cutter and lots of staples and scotch tape. I put one
together of SAN FRAN as a parting gift to a coworker at my retirement
luncheon.

     Mary Ann