[TUHS] Abstractions

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Tue Feb 16 18:15:37 AEST 2021

Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com> writes:

> So if y'all are up for it, I'd like to have a discussion on what
> abstractions would be appropriate in order to meet modern needs.  Any
> takers?

A late friend of mine felt strongly that Unix needed an SQL interface to
the kernel.  With all information and configuration in a well designed
schema, system administration could be greatly enhanced, he felt, and
could have standard interaction patterns across components -- instead of
all the quirky command line interfaces we have today, and their user
oriented output formats that you need to parse to use the data.

sysctl done right, so to speak.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay