[TUHS] Prime Time Freeware <- Sun User Group tapes

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Wed Feb 17 05:39:09 AEST 2021

Rich Morin <rdm at cfcl.com> wrote:
> PTF was inspired, in large part, by the volunteer work that produced the
> Sun User Group (SUG) tapes.  Because most of the original volunteers had
> other fish to fry, I decided to broaden the focus and attempt a
> (somewhat) commercial venture.  PTF, for better or worse, was the
> result.
>
> So, I should also relate some stories about running for and serving on
> the SUG board, hassling with AT&T and Sun's lawyers, assembling
> SUGtapes, etc.  My copies of the SUGtapes are (probably) long gone, but
> John Gilmore (if nobody else :-) probably has the tapes and/or their
> included bits.

While I was involved, the Sun User Group made three tapes of freely
available software, in 1985, 1987, and 1989.  The 1989 tape includes
both of the earlier ones, as well as new material.

A copy of both the 1987 tape and the 1989 tape are here:

  http://www.toad.com/SunUserGroupTape-Rel-1987.1.0.tar.gz
  http://www.toad.com/SunUserGroupTape-Rel-1989.tar
  http://www.toad.com/

I'll have to do a bit more digging to turn up more than vague memories
about our dealings with the lawyers...

	John