[TUHS] What would "a unix restaurant" look like?

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Wed Feb 17 11:33:19 AEST 2021

> On Feb 16, 2021, at 13:59, Tyler Adams <coppero1237 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been writing about Unix design principles recently and tried explaining
> "The Rule of Silence" by imagining Unix as a restaurant.  Do you agree with
> how I presented it?  Would you do it differently?

Apple's A/UX team used to joke about Mac versus Unix restaurant ordering, eg:

W: What would you like to order?
U: I'd like a green salad, with blue cheese dressing on the side, no croutons.

W: Would you like to order an appetizer, dessert, entree, or side dish?
M: I'd like to order a side dish.
W: Would you like to order cottage cheese, french fries, a salad, or ...
M: ...

All of us actually ordered our meals in Unix style, but all too often we
heard folks ordering in Mac style.

-r