[TUHS] Abstractions

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Mon Feb 22 09:01:34 AEST 2021

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> I once worked for a place who reckoned that /bin and /lib etc ought to be in
> an EEPROM; I reckon that he was right (Penguin/OS dumps everything under
> /usr/bin, for example).

I have used distributions in the past that maintained the traditional
distinction.

While I've been stuck regarding bringing up a kernel, C compiler and libc
all together, (keeping in mind my desire to avoid gcc and glibc for the
project) the conceptual distribution I've been working on for some time
uses more or less the same abstraction as the BSDs, with distinct /bin and
/sbin vs. /usr/bin and /usr/sbin as I personally believe it should be,
that the stuff in /bin should be enough to bring up and/or run diagnostics
on a system, and everything else go in /usr.

-uso.