[TUHS] Proliferation of options is great simplification of pipes, really?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Feb 23 03:15:52 AEST 2021

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:17 AM Robert Clausecker <fuz at fuz.su> wrote:

> I'm not sure if it would be that simple.  With preprocessors like
> soelim, your script would have to be able to open arbitrary external
> files to find out what preprocessors are needed.  And perhaps other
> preprocessors too could trigger dependencies on additional
> preprocessors depending on how they are used.

True enough, but you'd be no better off in principle if you were using an
explicit pipeline, especially if you are sourcing files that you didn't
write: your knowledge of the content may be vague.

Heckler: "Go on, Al, tell 'em all you know.  It won't take long."
Al Smith: "I'll tell 'em all we *both* know.  It won't take any longer."