[TUHS] Abstractions

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Tue Feb 23 12:50:22 AEST 2021

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 07:38:21PM -0500, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2021, Wesley Parish wrote:
>
> > I've just checked Slackware 14.* and it's still got a few binaries in
> > /bin, unlike the RedHat* group which has indeed sent them all to
> > /usr/bin. I don't know about the Debian* group, or if the Mandrake*
> > group have gone with the RedHat* or not. Let alone all the other
> > distros.
>
> Debian links /bin to /usr/bin.

New installs of Debian will use a /usr merged configuration.  However,
for pre-existing installations, we are not yet forcing, or even
strongly recommending, system administrators to install the usrmerge
package which will transition an legacy directory hierarchy to be /usr
merged.  So at the moment, Debian packages need to support both merged
and non-merged configurations, which is not ideal from a pacakge
maintainer's POV.

						- Ted