[TUHS] FreeBSD behind the times? (was: Favorite unix design principles?)

Stuart Remphrey stu at remphrey.net
Sat Feb 27 18:54:11 AEST 2021

Hi Larry et al,

Just curious about this: was there any feedback from Jeff Bonwick and/or
Bill Moore re the ARC -vs- page cache?

Or would any of the design notes document the reasoning behind the decision?
Surely it must have come up and been justified or got an exception in the
Solaris architecture review (SARC "20 Q's", wasn't it called?) Since AFAICS
it affected Solaris O/S interface (former-)guarantees. Although those notes
are probably lost / inaccessible now...

There's also the monthly OpenZFS leadership meeting, Matt Ahrens et al are
in there: I wonder if they would have access to some of the original
reasoning; how it was justified / why it was permitted.

Dave, btw: check out the high-level structure of ZFS metadata -- every
block is checksummed, and the checksum kept in the parent block (i.e. *not*
kept together), applicable for both data and metadata blocks, and at least
two copies are kept of metadata (but you can request more depending on your
paranoia, see also "ditto" blocks). Compression is optional at the
filesystem level (not held at the pool aka volume level; a pool may contain
multiple filesystems), when compression is enabled if affects future
created files, same if unset or changed to another algorithm; the
filesystem handles a mix of files (blocks, even; I forget offhand) existing
with various or no compression.

Rgds, Stuart.