[TUHS] tangential unix question: whatever happened to NeWS?

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 04:24:48 AEST 2021

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 11:16 AM ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> At some point I thought NeWS source was released. Is it just another
> Lost Source or it is out there somewhere?

I think they open sourced the OpenLook toolkit at some point, though I
don't recall seeing the source code for the NeWS server itself. If I'm
misremembering and Sun didn't open the OLTK, then maybe there was an open
source clone. I am sure there was an alternate window manager that had
virtual desktops.

Starting with, I believe, NeWS 3.0 and later they provided X11 integration.
X had clearly won in the larger world. For that matter, so had Motif, but
you had to pay money for it.

Do I remember right that it was a Gosling effort?

Yes, he was the driving force behind NeWS. Display PostScript! A cool
concept.

        - Dan C.