[TUHS] tangential unix question: whatever happened to NeWS?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Mon Jan 25 07:25:25 AEST 2021

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 01:14:34PM -0800, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> So I never liked Apollos much.  What I was referring to was Apollo's claim
> that their token-ring network performed better for large numbers of nodes.
> And they were correct.  However, they didn't consider the eventually
> invention of switches that solved the problem.

The network performance of the cluster of Apollos we had was awful.
I don't know anything about how you set that up, never liked token rings,
maybe it is possible to set it up wrong, I dunno.  All I know was network
performance was awful on the Apollos.

It's a statistically valid sampling of one case :-)