[TUHS] Favorite unix design principles?

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Tue Jan 26 12:53:44 AEST 2021

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021, M Douglas McIlroy wrote:

> It might be interesting to compare your final list with the two lists in
> the 1978 special issue of the BSTJ--one in the Foreword, the other in the
> revised version of the Ritchi/Thompson article from the CACM. How have
> perceptions or values changed over time?
>
> Doug

Funny thing is I came into *x (Solaris, and then Linux) relatively late -
ca. 1997, after I had been using MS-DOS and ProDOS for years, which were
the operating systems I compared it to.

It was because MS-DOS had adopted ideas from Xenix that *x was easier to
acclimate to than other OSes I'd used.

-uso.