[TUHS] tangential unix question: whatever happened to NeWS?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Jan 27 13:11:26 AEST 2021

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021, Jon Steinhart wrote:

> We're lucky that Don Knuth had nothing to do with X?
>
> Why?
>
> He would have called it ecccchhhhh.

An oldie but a goodie :-)

Heh; at one job I was asked whether I knew X; I answered that I could
spell it...  $PHB not impressed, but I quickly learned it.

Ugh!  I've seen some ugly windowing systems in my time, but X...  Heck,
even CP/M had a better system, IIRC.  Talk about heavyweight; how many
lines of code were required to write "Hello, world"?

That, BTW, is my benchmark for usability etc.  And yes, I've seen all the
jokes; my favourite is manager to worker bee: "I need a program to print
'Hello World' by this afternoon".

-- Dave, who might even tell the OS/360 "EI" story from an old boss