[TUHS] tangential unix question: whatever happened to NeWS?

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Wed Jan 27 17:28:48 AEST 2021

Grant Taylor via TUHS writes:

> On 1/26/21 8:54 PM, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> > stuff from V and W
>
> Um ... I'm showing my (lack of) age and my ignorance here.
>
> I assume that W is the window system that preceded X.
>
> But "V"?  I've never heard of that.
>
> Would someone please educate and enlighten this youngin?

V is an operating system written at Stanford for the original
Stanford University Network Board.  It featured very fast
synchronous IPC.  W is the window system that ran on V.  It
was porting to UNIX and renamed X, but performed terribly
because of the lack of fast synchronous IPC.  That got somewhat
changed in X11 which was done to try to outcompete NeWS.

Jon