[TUHS] tangential unix question: whatever happened to NeWS?

Stephen Clark sclark46 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 28 02:40:46 AEST 2021

On 1/27/21 10:47 AM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 02:11:26PM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>> Ugh!  I've seen some ugly windowing systems in my time, but X...  Heck, even
>> CP/M had a better system, IIRC.
> CP/M didn't have a window system, at least mine didn't.  Hard to do that
> in 64K (I had 128K banked with the crt mapped into the 2nd bank).
Neither did mine I had an original Altair 8800 I had built and started with CP/M
2.2 then upgraded to 3.0 and wrote my
own bios and flashed into a prom board I had built from kit. Computers were sure
a lot simpler in those days.

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy!" (Ben Franklin)