[TUHS] Troff to ps

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Jan 28 22:58:56 AEST 2021

Ditroff per cpu was cheap. I was part of all those negotiation.    There
was a buy in that way high and John points out.  Actually there were two -
one to get the sources for your first internal cpu and another for the
redistribution rights.

My memory of the first license for the original ditroff 1.0 typesetter was
5k (which included the new C compiler) although it did drop later when it
went into the toolchest.  But There was also redistribution fee also which
iirc you worked off / creditted against like license fees.

The entire v7 OS redistribution fee was on the 50-100k range (I've
forgotten but am likely to have that in my att files somewhete) - which was
after the 25k single cpu source license. The original binary per cpu
redistribution license started at 1.5k.  Which when a minicomputer was
selling at 150k was not terrible.  The problem was a PC at 5k.

I was in the room at Riki's Hyatt in Palo Alti when that was all
negotiated.  This would lead to the Sys III license. It was at that MTG
Gates famous looked at the rest of us and said "you guys don't get it.  The
only thing that matters is volume".  He wanted to pay $50/copy max.

Anyway troff was much cheaper than the whole OS license.   The per cpu
charge was very small as I said my memory is it was $5 over the base OS
license.

--
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual