[TUHS] AT&T 3B1 - Emulation available

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Sun Jan 31 18:41:55 AEST 2021

> On Jan 30, 2021, at 23:57, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
>
> ... An instructor there referred to the 3B20s as white elephants,
> and explained it to me (since I didn't know):
> A white elephant is something obviously rare and valuable,
> but what exactly do you do with it? :-)

Actually, it's a bit worse than that:

> The term white elephant refers to an extravagant, impractical gift that cannot be easily disposed of.  The phrase is said to come from the historic practice of the King of Siam (now Thailand) giving rare albino elephants to courtiers who had displeased him, so that they might be ruined by the animals' upkeep costs.
> -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_elephant_gift_exchange

On a related note, I recall that Dick Karpinski won an IBM (?) minicomputer at a Usenix conference.  Problem was, if he accepted it the taxes would be far more than any value it might have for him.  So, he ended up doing some sort of dance that allowed the machine to go to someone else...

-r