[TUHS] [tuhs] The Unix shell: a 50-year view

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Sat Jul 3 09:12:53 AEST 2021

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021, Henry Bent wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2021 at 17:38, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
>> As I started reading it I found plenty to disagree with in the first few
>> paragraphs but they completely lost me at "After all, moving from System
>> V init scripts to systemd has arguably improvedthe Linux boot sequence."
>>
>> Um, no, just, no.
>
> After rattling around in the back of a train car with nothing but my
> thoughts, I emerged and said:
>
> "systemd is a pox on our way of life"
>
> and then promptly rolled over and went back to sleep.
>
> -Henry

The Linux distro I use does use systemd but I can ignore it and go on with
my life as if it were still running sysvinit.  So it's not that big a deal
to me.

I'd prefer that they kept sysvinit, but eh.  What's that saying?  "Those
who fail to understand Unix are condemned to recreate it, poorly" ?

-uso.