[TUHS] [tuhs] The Unix shell: a 50-year view

David Barto david at kdbarto.org
Mon Jul 5 06:10:14 AEST 2021

> On Jul 3, 2021, at 9:36 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2021 at 02:47:57AM +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 03, 2021 at 09:20:57AM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Much of Unix's early evolution and thus architecture and philosophy, came
>>> from addressing a set of problems that people had in a historical context
>>> that, one could argue, aren't that relevant anymore.
>
> Unix still matters.  It has mattered for a very long time, I could argue
> it is the most important operating system in the world.  Yeah, windows
> won, but it didn't win on merits.

One thing I’d like to point out is that Linux On Windows is becoming
a thing, to the point that you can execute native Linux applications for
the most part directly in this weird environment.

So even M$ sees that Linux could be a threat in the long term and is
making an attempt to prevent it from harming the M$ universe.

See, you can run your Linux code on Windows, why do you want to
run Linux now? 8^)

	David