[TUHS] Is C obsolete? (was Re: [tuhs] The Unix shell: a 50-year view)

Derek Fawcus dfawcus+lists-tuhs at employees.org
Mon Jul 5 09:24:18 AEST 2021

On Sat, Jul 03, 2021 at 05:49:57PM +0200, Andy Kosela wrote:
> They also think that C is obsolete

I'd not say it is obsolete, but despite it having been my main language for the
last 30 years, these days I would be inclined to restrict the range of new tasks
I'd use it for.

So in thinking of how to solve certain problems, I'd split a subset of the problem
in to something in C, and the rest in to another language - probably Go.  That may
simply reflect the nature of the problems I tackle, I can imagine that others
might not merit any use of C.

DF