[TUHS] [tuhs] The Unix shell: a 50-year view

Bakul Shah bakul at iitbombay.org
Mon Jul 5 13:52:11 AEST 2021

> On Jul 3, 2021, at 6:20 AM, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Systemd is both good and bad.

Independent of systemd, the idea of regularizing service management is quite useful. A single function in a way, & fits the Unix Philosophy [which is really about factoring out common components and making them easily reusable. The fact that the shell allows that sort of composition with minimal syntax is, to me, one of its greatest contributions]

Similarly there are other such new functions where this philosophy can be applied.

> We aren't teaching, yes, but moreover they don't want to learn because the problems they're trying to solve are different. We need to accept and internalize that and think hard about how the tools we use can be brought to bear on the problems that are relevant _now_, not 30 years ago.
>
> It does beg the question: is a Unix-style kernel still the appropriate foundation for this style of computing? Why are we still using this system: is it because of its intrinsic power and versatility, or because of inertia? Systemd, containers, etc, all suggest that our models are inadequate.

Containers, and many other tech. solutions have evolved in response to changing needs. The question that interests me is can we apply the Unix philosophy in this changing environment and if so how.

 One thing I like about Apple is their continuous focus  & s/w evolution on helping the end-user (we may disagree on specific changes but I bet many people on this list are using Apple devices as their "terminal"). It is a real joy to use some of these programs. And yet it is a real shame to not see open standards for such things.