[TUHS] [tuhs] The Unix shell: a 50-year view

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Mon Jul 5 13:59:30 AEST 2021

On Sun, Jul 04, 2021 at 09:10:49PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Systemd is both good and bad.
>
> I thought this article was well-informed and informative, but VERY long:
> https://blog.darknedgy.net/technology/2020/05/02/0/
> "systemd, 10 years later: a historical and technical retrospective"

This is also a really good talk, by Benno Rice.  Benno is a FreeBSD
developer, and has served on the FreeBSD Core Team.  He gave this talk
at Linux.Conf.au 2019, and it was a repeat of a talk he gave at BSDCan
2018, entitled "The Tragedy of Systemd" ("Tragedy" in the title was
used in the Greek drama context):

	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo

It's a pretty fair talk about the why systemd came up, and what we
might be able to learn from systemd.  His closing line was, which I
think is quite good was:

   "What I would challenge every one here is to look at systemd, and
    try find one thing you like --- and then go try to implement it."

					- Ted