[TUHS] Binary log files

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Tue Jul 6 05:25:37 AEST 2021

John Cowan wrote in
 <CAD2gp_RLYVFx8CK6PAiSrPV8BvSrYHGiB2WPxQGJO=Bh-x3nRA at mail.gmail.com>:
 |On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 9:42 AM Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen at sdaoden.eu> wrote:
 |
 |And how did you handle it?
 |
 |The simplest way to truncate the file is with truncate or just ">file",
 |since writes are small enough to be atomic.  The sa utility, which also

Hm, ok, sure.  I thought maybe, you know.  Availability of some
weeks or the quarter of a year is a good thing (tm).

 |goes back to v7, will summarize process accounting data and write it to a
 |different file; it can then report on either unsummarized data or
 |summarized data before unsummarized data).  Unfortunately Linux has broken
 |the wtmp/utmp convention of "no logfile, no logging", so a cron job to
 |truncate wtmp is your only man.

Too bad weather to make something out of that.
The fruits of South Africa were so sweet that we hoped for a good
summer.  Well 2000 KM more southern it is, but that Island low
pressure area now lies in front of Ireland i think, what a mess.

Yes the script is not atomic, but good enough for very occasional
usage by a logged in administrator.

--steffen