[TUHS] [tuhs] The Unix shell: a 50-year view

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Jul 7 23:54:42 AEST 2021

Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:

> Not quite a Unix-lookalike, but AmigaDOS was a mix of ideas - named
> volumes (a bit) like in CP/M, multitasking (a bit) like in Unix (but
> on my model, I only had M68K and no memory protection), command line
> tools allowing for batch programming more sophisticated than what
> MSDOS had on table (well, I really never got to the point of abusing
> this).

The more unixy parts of AmigaDOS came from TRIPOS
https://www.pagetable.com/?p=193
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIPOS

TRIPOS was originally developed by a team led by Martin Richards, who had
previously developed BCPL.

> Also, Aztec C came with a suite of programs resembling what I
> could later find on Unix: cc, ld, make, ar and few others I forgot.

Also true for the Acorn / Norcroft ARM C Compiler on the Archimedes, which
was my first contact with unix-like tools :-)

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Northwest Fitzroy, Sole: Northwesterly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at