[TUHS] The Unix shell: a 50-year view - hopefully final review of letter

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Jul 11 06:02:37 AEST 2021

    > From: Jon Steinhart

    > I use UNIX instead of Unix as that's what I believe is the correct form.

Well, Bell documentation uses "UNIX" through V6:

  https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V6/usr/doc/start/start

"Unix" starts to appear with V7:

  https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V7/usr/doc/setup

As mentioned, the trademark is "UNIX".

I don't really have a fixed position on _the_ way to spell it: when I'm
wiriting about a specific version (e.g. V6) I use the capitalization as of
that version; for general text I'd probably use 'Unix', as that seems to be
general now. But I could easily be convinced otherwise.

	Noel