[TUHS] 386BSD released

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Wed Jul 14 18:32:11 AEST 2021

On 14 Jul 2021 10:19 +0200, from angus at fairhaven.za.net (Angus Robinson):
> Looking at a few online sources, Linus actually said when "386BSD came out,
> Linux was already in a usable state, that I never really thought about
> switching. If 386BSD had been available when I started on Linux, Linux
> would probably never had happened".

And all this, of course, ignoring the other issue of what might be
considered a "start to the open source operating system movement",
given that even development of GNU was well underway by the time the
Linux kernel got started (having been worked on since early 1984), and
one might even be able to argue that the early UNIX systems were also,
in a sense, open source.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”