[TUHS] 386BSD released

risner at stdio.com risner at stdio.com
Fri Jul 16 12:33:52 AEST 2021

I was running 386BSD 0.0 on a 386 40 mhz machine in April 1992 with 32
mb of ram.
There was much instability in the OS with more than 8 gb of ram and I
mailed 32 mb of extra to the Jolitz late summer to the fall.
I never heard about Linux until much later in 1993.

There used to be a post on usenet news annoucing the relase with the
FTP, but the best I could google was this FAQ confirming release in
1992.
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.386bsd.announce/c/PGltboD6rq4

I have repetively seen discussion suggesting Linux was available first,
but having directly worked for a university at the time installing
SunOS, AT&T SVR3, and other old OS’s, we welcomed the concept of
switching from AT&T SVR3 on 386 machines to 386BSD. We’d probably have
welcomed Linux if anyone in the department knew about it.

James Risner