[TUHS] head/sed/tail (was The Unix shell: a 50-year view)

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Fri Jul 16 18:27:17 AEST 2021

John Floren wrote:
> Speaking of SAIL (and I suppose further derailing an already derailed
> discussion), I've occasionally looked for more information about the
> environment (typically whenever a book or article briefly mentions
> SAIL as a place with lots of custom hardware and software) but come up
> with little. Anyone know of good description of SAIL computer systems?

I'm risking the Wrath of the Moderator here, but I really want to supply
some information.  Sorry, this is very far from Unix.  But hey, SUDS was
used to design the Stanford SUN Unix workstation.

What do you mean with "SAIL computer systems"?  I think upthread SAIL
was referencing the Algol compiler written at the Stanford AI lab.  But
SAIL was also an acronym for the entire lab, AND also used as a name for
the main timesharing computer hardware.  The hardware was first a PDP-6,
then adding a PDP-10 (KA10), then a KL10.  The operating system was
eventually named WAITS, but was also sometimes called SAIL or just
SYSTEM.  WAITS was also run on two Foonlies at other sites, and those
could also be called SAIL computer systems in some sense.

I gather you probably mean the AI lab and its computers.  The best place
for information is saildart.org, and Bruce Baumgart is working on a tome
called "SAILDART_Prolegomenon".  This work in progress is 116 pages.
https://github.com/PDP-10/waits/blob/master/doc/SAILDART_Prolegomenon_2016.pdf