[TUHS] 70th anniversary of (official) programming errors

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Wed Jun 16 08:16:59 AEST 2021

Not Unix in particular.
At least in Germany it is already the 16th, and my BSD calendar
notifies that "first programming error is encountered at the
U. S. Census Bureau".

As not being hard-to-the-core i may have missed it, but also in
1951, in March, the wonderful Grace Hopper "conceives the first
compiler, called A-O and later released as Math-Matic.  Hopper is
also credited with coining the term 'bug' following an incident
involving a moth and a Mark II.

All (hm!) according to COMPUTERWORLD January 18th, 1999 (i was
young!), with assistance of the Computer Museum of Boston.

Like McCartney said in the legendary 1999 concert at the Cavern
club, the first after his wonderful wife Linda died, "See, with
this band, if we don't get it right ... we start again!".

Thank you.

--steffen