[TUHS] 70th anniversary of (official) programming errors

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Jun 19 06:19:37 AEST 2021

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 5:57 PM Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen at sdaoden.eu> wrote:

> (Only to clarify that „bögge“ is not a German word to the best of my
> knowledge.  I was looking, as it sounded so »northern«,

And so it is: it's Low Saxon, and also exists in the compound form
"böggel-mann", plainly cognate to British English "bogeyman", American
English "boogeyman".  Or borrowed one way or the other: there is so much
borrowing and convergence in the Germanic languages around the North and
Baltic Seas that if we did not know the older varieties of these languages
we would never be able to work out just how they are related.

Unless it was by accident that I had offended someone, I never apologized.
        --Quentin Crisp