[TUHS] Bugs, Bööge and Bogeymen (was: 70th anniversary of (official) programming errors)

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sun Jun 20 01:48:41 AEST 2021

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote in
 <20210619075735.GQ23809 at eureka.lemis.com>:
 |On Friday, 18 June 2021 at 16:19:37 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
 |> On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 5:57 PM Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen at sdaoden.eu> \
 |> wrote:
 |>
 |>> (Only to clarify that ???bögge??? is not a German word to the best \

(Your mail was LATIN1 yet the data was not it seems.)

 |>> of my
 |>> knowledge.  I was looking, as it sounded so »northern«,
 |>
 |> And so it is: it's Low Saxon, and also exists in the compound form
 |> "böggel-mann", plainly cognate to British English "bogeyman", American
 |> English "boogeyman".
 |
 |Well, there are ways to check these things, especially since Steffen
 |came up with alternatives.  As they say, â␦␦Was weiÃ␦ Duden?â␦␦.
 |
 |From https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Boeoegg:
 |
 |  wohl gekürzt aus älter schweizerisch Böggelmann, Bölimann =
 |  Schreckgestalt, Kobold, Herkunft ungeklärt; vgl. als ähnliche
 |  Bezeichnung englisch bog(e)y (man) = Schreckgespenst, litauisch
 |  bužỹs = (ausgestopfte) Schreckgestalt
 |
 |In other words, a Swiss German word with a derivation similar to what

Well, informative.  I am not a Germanist.  But *i* do not *think*
that a Swiss (Alemannian?) word "Böögge" (that i never have heard,
a Carnival Goblin mask, see [1-4], where [2-4] are "Larve"nmasken,
referring to "Gespenst" aka "Ghost") is related to the family name
"Bögge" in mostly northern Germany.  Schwaben/Alemannen on the one
hand, and Sachsen, Friesen, Westfalen, Franken and who knows which
tribes live "normally" where the name distributes[5].

At [5] one can see a very small piece of land at the bottom, near
Lake Constance, where the name distributes.  Maybe someone was
thrilled after visiting that land during Carnival and decided to
move there -- haha! --, i do not know.  You know, Alemannen
Carnival, they sing things like "kill the cat!" or something, and
have cat fur on their belt!  Listen, Hackers!!  ...yeah, twenty
years ago there was an uprising all across Germany after
Alemannian Carnival was shortly seen in the most widely watched TV
news, iirc, where such a masked one was jumping around and singing
this.  Searching the net i find mostly nothing but [6], and there
you can read

  Miau-Zunft Freiburg
  1. Die Website www.miau-zunft.de  ist nicht mehr erreichbar. Die
  Zunft hat bundesweit Proteste ausgelöst, da sie gewagt hatte, im
  Internet auf ihre Katzenfell-Hästradition hinzuweisen
  2. Zum BZ-Artikel vom 22.12.2001: Katzenjammer bei der Miau-Zunft
  3. Auch unser Gästebuch wurde vom Katzenjammer erfasst.  Wie
  soll dies weitergehen?  Sagen Sie uns doch Ihre Meinung
  4. Beim Rosenmontagsumzug am 11.2.2002 war die Miau-Zunft nicht
  feige und trotz aller Bedrohungen tapfer dabei. Aber nur im
  Käfig-Wagen. Welch ein Katzenjammer!

That is not that, but nonetheless, part of the nationwide protests
("bundesweit[e] Proteste") that seems to have been.
Cancel culture, everywhere.  You need a lobby though, fur animals
usually not have; nor have cows, pigs, chicken, it is your fault
you have to read this vegetarian pamphlet.

Coming back to "Böge" [7] aka "Boege" [5] as a name, together
about 1100 entries twenty years ago (data from 2002).
For [7] there are some more in the Alemannian / Swabian area.
I do not know.

  [1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Narrenzunft_Tettnang_Hopfennarr_Narrentreffen_Me%C3%9Fkirch_2006.jpg
  [2] https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Tsch%C3%A4gg%C3%A4ttu-Larven_%28Masken%29.jpg
  [3] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larve_(Maske)#/media/Datei:Picswiss_BS-50-23.jpg
  [4] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larve_(Maske)#/media/Datei:Biss.jpg
  [5] http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Boege_(Familienname)
  [6] https://freiburg-schwarzwald.de/littenweiler/narren.htm
  [7] http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/B%C3%B6ge_(Familienname)

 |you expected.  I hadn't expected that (the Swiss connection).  The OED
 |entry is way out of date (1887) and has nothing useful to say except:
 |
 |  Found in literature only recently; old people vouched (1887) for its
 |  use in the nursery as early as 1825, but only as proper name (sense
 |  1). Possibly a southern nursery form of bogle , boggle , and boggard
 |  , or going back like them to a simpler form which, as mentioned
 |  under bog n.1 and bogle n., may be a variant of bugge , bug n.1
 |  â␦␦terror, bugbear, scarecrowâ␦␦. But in the absence of evidence,
 |  positive statements concerning its relation to these words cannot be
 |  made.
 --End of <20210619075735.GQ23809 at eureka.lemis.com>

Harald Arnesen wrote in
 <2419313d-a951-ba2d-48a4-6b0bf225f2eb at gmail.com>:
 |Steffen Nurpmeso [18.06.2021 23:00]:
 |
 |> To me it sounds rather like a modification of "Bogen", which can
 |> mean quite some different things itself, from a "bend" (so the
 |> profession of a wood-bender comes to mind at a glance, "böge" is
 |> also the conjugation of "bending" "er böge" thus "he would bend")
 |
 |In Norway, "bøg" is an older, derogative description of a homosexual
 |male. Fits in with the German meaning "bent".

Hmmm.  Well, given the zappiness and horniness that often can be
found in this corner, the losses we had due to the golden
Californian gang bangs, let me only think of the wonderful Bruce
Chatwin here, there it maybe was a rape, it is terrible!, but
given the sheer amount of popping and other drugs in this culture
i am better silent know.

 |Hilsen Harald
 --End of <2419313d-a951-ba2d-48a4-6b0bf225f2eb at gmail.com>

Niklas Karlsson wrote in
 <CAK6BEgd4yehsSXxpSPCwaR=V=Pa4jrr94tyVPpR7vy6_aUZ_dw at mail.gmail.com>:
 |Den lör 19 juni 2021 kl 15:36 skrev Harald Arnesen <skogtun at gmail.com>:
 |> In Norway, "bøg" is an older, derogative description of a homosexual
 |> male. Fits in with the German meaning "bent".

 |"Bög" means a homosexual male in Sweden also. It used to be derogatory
 |but has been adopted by the gay community itself, so it's really just
 |descriptive now (although I'm pretty sure kids still use it as an insult).

So *i* could *imagine* Norwegians pronounce their "bøg" and Svedes
pronounce their "Bög" maybe a bit like "Bock", short and tough.
Bo-ck, not Booo-ck (english: not buuuu-ck, o!=u), or so.
The German "Bock" is a "Ram", the "Böckchen" its minimization
(often not advisable!), and ramification of a Ram is often seen as
desirable (wham! bam! thank you ma'am!, though that false jobsite,
in this case).

Rams they have in Friesland aka Low Saxony.  Oh, the wonderful
"Heidschnucke" ("German heath"), yes, [s]he lives there,
a "northern short-tailed [Heh! sic] sheep".  These horns can
"bocken" aka "buck"ing aka is in the season.

 |Niklas
 --End of <CAK6BEgd4yehsSXxpSPCwaR=V=Pa4jrr94tyVPpR7vy6_aUZ_dw at mail.gmail\
 .com>

Ah nice weekend everybody.