[TUHS] Disassemblers

Rob Pike robpike at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 07:49:10 AEST 2021

For v8 or thereabouts, I spent some time fixing some fundamental bugs in db
and found that it was arcane but remarkably powerful. Since it was lower
level, it avoided the endemic debugging problem of misleading you about
your program: All it could do was tell you what the machine was doing.
(Cdb, sdb, and adb were, at least in my experience, always lying to you.) I
may be the only person who appreciated db fully. Once the bugs were gone
you really could use it to good effect, as long as you understood the CPU.

But it was buggy and arcane, no question about that.

-rob