[TUHS] demand paged 32V / Contacting Kelleman and/or Buroff

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Tue Jun 22 00:20:48 AEST 2021

On 6/20/21 6:05 PM, Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS wrote:

> I’ve read the MSc theses of Leffler and Shannon with interest (https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/Theses/). The thesis of Shannon has an interesting discussion of a demand paged version of his Harris/6 Unix (Chapter 5). It is based on the Tenex ideas, just as JFR mentioned for his version. The thesis of Leffler contains a gant chart that shows that the demand paged version was written in the first months of 1980 -- concurrently with or slightly after the 32V version.

Sam and Bill did their work at CWRU, which was getting to be a DEC shop at
the time, at least in the central computing center. When I got there a few
years later, we were running DEC-20s with TOPS-20, and we were doing some
kernel and EXEC customizations (we == Case, I was not involved). It's
likely that both of them, and Rob Gingell, were influenced by exposure to
Tenex and TOPS-20. Rob would know more.

Chet

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/