[TUHS] tabs vs spaces - entab, detab

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri Mar 5 07:24:59 AEST 2021

On Thursday,  4 March 2021 at 10:52:30 -0600, Will Senn wrote:
> OK. So, I've been trying to decide (for the last time, I swear) whether
> to use tabs or spaces in my code... I did a quick pulse-check on the
> state of argument and it appears to be alive and well in 2021.

FWIW, FreeBSD's style(9) man page
(https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=style&apropos=0&sektion=9&manpath=FreeBSD+12.2-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=default&format=html)
includes:

   Indentation is an 8 character tab.  Second level indents are four
   spaces.

I've always used 8 character tabs (though in my own code I don't stick
to style(9)).  As others have commented, it's the Unix standard, and
the confusion between tabs and spaces is bad enough without changing
the relationship.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.