[TUHS] tabs vs spaces - entab, detab

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 07:25:35 AEST 2021

On 3/4/21 1:50 PM, Rob Pike wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sln-gJaURzk&feature=player_detailpage#t=1734s&utm_source=buffer&buffer_share=c7676
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sln-gJaURzk&feature=player_detailpage#t=1734s&utm_source=buffer&buffer_share=c7676>

Thanks for the link into the video. If only every language were as
helpful on the formatting code front :). I work with random folks who
have differing opinions on the subject - this becomes apparent as soon
as we try to integrate, with the notorious "inconsistent use of tabs and
spaces in indentation" error. Python drives me nuts with it's
finickiness on this, all without providing a helpful way to resolve the
issue. It's left up to the developer to fix. Go addresses this by
normalizing the format. It's not just Python, I'm currently reading a
C17 C++ book, at the moment, and the authors spend several pages on
coding style. They eventually boil it down to "whatever you do, be
consistent" - but the amount of time spent on this shows us why go's
approach is vastly superior. No raging debate about braces on the same
line or even tabs and spaces - just code it, let go sort out the style
issues.

Will