[TUHS] [COFF] Pondering the hosts file

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Mar 12 07:20:30 AEST 2021

Cross-posting to TUHS my original response to COFF.

On 3/11/21 11:02 AM, Clem Cole wrote:
> Grant, are you asking about a multi-homed host?

I had specifically elided multi-homing for simplicity.

> IIRC the original BSD code did the first hit and stop, when looking
> something up.

*nod*

That's my understanding.

> What we sometimes did was give the host an alias : host-en for the
> ethernet and host-pro proteon HW.

If I understand what you're saying:

192.0.2.1	host.example.net	host-en
198.51.100.1	host.example.net	host-pro

> Host would be on both lines, so you wanted to make the first 'host'
> to be the default.

I guess I shouldn't elide multi-homing and instead address it directly.
   Or at least clarify the paradigm.

Should a given host name appear on more than one entry / line in the
hosts file if it's only got one IP (other than 127.0.0.1 / ::1)?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die