[TUHS] [COFF] Pondering the hosts file

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Mar 12 11:15:03 AEST 2021

(I re-added Internet History list to my response here ...)
On Thu, 11 Mar 2021, Henry Bent wrote:

> Perhaps a more interesting question, and one which I cannot quickly answer
> (nor am I going to go pinging huge swaths of the public internet), is are
> there any hosts in any version of HOSTS.TXT that are still on the public
> internet in the same location?  Or - and perhaps there is an easy answer to
> this that I do not know - is there a repository of old WHOIS databases?  I
> remember being stymied ~20 years ago that Ultrix had SRI-NIC.ARPA hardcoded
> in the whois binary and I couldn't find a hostname of the correct length
> with which to replace it...

Using 1988 SRI-NIC host table
https://github.com/ttkzw/hosts.txt/blob/master/pub/hosts/19881208/HOSTS.TXT

I don't know if at same location, but some relationship and even some
same or close names:

CS.WISC.EDU 128.105.2.6

128.135.0.0 u-chicago.uchicago.edu.

uvaarpa.virginia.edu. uvaarpa-old.virginia.edu.  128.143.2.7

jellicoe.cs.ucl.ac.uk. 128.16.3.1

honda.cs.columbia.edu. 128.59.16.16

cesd-gw.ai.sri.com. 192.12.33.1

ns0.llnl.gov. 192.12.17.1

umbc-net.umbc.edu. 130.85.0.0

net.queensu.ca.  130.15.0.0

ns.indiana.edu. 129.79.1.1

oswego-net.oswego.edu.  129.3.0.0

dorm-net0.stanford.edu. 128.12.0.0

nas-net.nas.nasa.gov. 129.99.0.0

Several others at same organizations or descendants. A lot are under
xip.io.