[TUHS] Micnet Was: Re: Surprised about Unix System V in the 80's - so sparse!

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sun Mar 21 11:12:17 AEST 2021

On Saturday, 20 March 2021 at 17:18:43 -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Yeah, but wouldn't that mean that SCO Unix had to be open sourced?
> Or did they buy the rights?

They didn't "open source" SCO, but in January 2002 they released
"ancient Unix" under a "BSD-style" license.  See
http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/
But I'm sure everybody knows that.

> While I mostly can't believe anyone would want SCO Unix, I do know that
> they ran a lot of cash registers, or maybe they were the server, I dunno,
> somehow point of sale and SCO was a thing a long time ago.  So maybe it
> is a legacy thing?

I haven't been following SCO recently, but at some point they had
taken UnixWare from Novell.  I'm sure that, too, is common knowledge.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.