[TUHS] Remember the ed thread?

Anders Damsgaard anders at adamsgaard.dk
Tue Mar 30 01:09:18 AEST 2021

* Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> [2021-03-29 07:34:49 -0700]:

>I had *.clients.your-server.de crawling mcvoy.com in violation of my
>robots.txt.  For whatever reason, the tty settings (or something)
>made vi not work, I dunno what the deal is, stty -tabs didn't help.
>
>So I had to resort to ed to write and debug the little program below.
>It was surprisingly pleasant, it's probably the first time I've used ed
>for anything real in at least a decade.  My fingers still know it.
>
>+1 for ed.  It's how many decades old and still useful?

I recently learned ed(1) for the first time (I have a unix beard, but it's
not grey yet). I found ed to be very efficient and useful for small fixes,
even on slow connections.  This beginner's tutorial was very helpful
for me: gopher://katolaz.net/0/ed_tutorial.txt

(https mirror for non-gopher clients:
https://adamsgaard.dk/npub/ed_tutorial.txt )