[TUHS] Early Unix paging

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Mon May 31 06:34:07 AEST 2021

Following the recent discussion on this list about early paging systems and John Reiser’s work in this area, I succeeded in reaching out to him. It is all very long ago, but John’s recollection is that his paging system work was initially done late in 1979 or maybe 1980. This matches with Rob Pike’s memory of seeing it demoed in early 1981.

John’s recollection confirms that his design implemented mmap and copy-on-write, and was integrated with the file buffer cache (all features that Norman Wilson also remembered).

I have appended John’s message below (with permission). I am not sure I understand - at this time - how John’s code was multiplexing page table entries with kernel data structures beyond what is mentioned, but I think it might be an interesting summer project to see how much of the design can be resurrected using related code, old documents and memories.

Paul

====