[TUHS] Book Recommendation

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 03:02:57 AEST 2021

I still heart BASIC. I enjoy it's simplicity. I started out on BASIC
with a Commodore Pet ca. 1978. I still like to fire it up every now and
then - Chipmunk on my Macbook, BAS/BAS2 on RSTS/11, RSX-11, BBC basic?
on RISC OS, doesn't matter, they all do a fair job of BASIC. I
especially like firing up  Berhard's pdp 8 simulator with teletype
emulation and coding on the teletype -
https://www.bernhard-baehr.de/pdp8e/pdp8e.html. Unix... well, I've not
been real successful in getting it to work on v6, other folks maybe, but
not me. By work, I mean, I type in reasonable BASIC and it runs
reasonably :). The bas executable work fine, it's the human-computer
interface that doesn't seem to wanna work, nothing I type in as a
program more complex than 'hello, world' will run with any reliability.

On another note, I remember the days when people bad mouthed lovers of
BASIC (in industry) and acted as though they were simpletons, later they
became haters on VB folks. When I learned C, in my twenties, I felt
empowered, but at the same time hamstrung, some of the simplest things
in BASIC became an odyssey in C. Nowadays, I use Python more than
anything else these (boring data sciency stuff). What I like about
Python is that it reminds me of BASIC in its simplicity of expression,
but to be fair, it goes far, far beyond it in power... I just wish it
were as free form as Ruby in how you say, what you say... any, I digress...

My favorite BASIC book:

My Computer Likes Me*
*when I speak in BASIC

by Bob Albrecht

Written in 1972 (for a teletype interface)

On a less positive note. The professors who originally developed it at
Dartmouth could never quite see there way clear to open source it. True
BASIC? pshaw :). There was a time when I would have loved to run BASIC
on linux, bsd, then Mac and have it be consistent across the platforms,
other than as a curiosity, that time has gone.

My question for the group is what's BASIC's history in the unices? I
know it's in v6, cuz I struggled with it there, but I'm curious what the
backstory is? I have the impression that the marriage of bas and v6 was
one of convenience, maybe there was a thought to draw in the hobbiest?
Were Kemeny and Kurtz characters in the same circles as the unix folks?

Later,

Will