[TUHS] Book Recommendation

Bakul Shah bakul at iitbombay.org
Wed Nov 17 06:35:54 AEST 2021

On Nov 16, 2021, at 9:04 AM, Douglas McIlroy <douglas.mcilroy at dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> APL is a fascinating invention, but can be so compact as to be
> inscrutable. (I confess not to have practiced APL enough to become
> fluent.) In the same vein, Haskell's powerful higher-level functions
> make middling fragments of code very clear, but can compress large
> code to opacity.

I enjoyed using APL in late ‘70s. And now I use and like k, another array
language. I am not fond of code golfing (fewest keystrokes win!) in these
languages but some problems are certainly easier to solve in them. It’s
like a workshop with a well thought out set of power tools. Similarly, a
lot of practice is necessary to use them effectively. When I get tired of
using grep, send, xargs in a shell pipeline I have wanted to write a shell
with similarly powerful builtin features….