[TUHS] Book Recommendation

Douglas McIlroy douglas.mcilroy at dartmouth.edu
Wed Nov 17 09:16:21 AEST 2021

>> Incidentally, another BEFLIX innovation was the buddy system for
>> dynamic storage allocation.

> I thought that was due to Knuth?

I believe Knuth christened it. Knuth (TAOCP vol 1) attributes it to
Markowitz (1963) and, independently, to Knowlton (1965). So I stand
corrected. However, I know that Knowlton had been using it a long time
before he published.

I should also correct BEFLIX to L6, "[Bell] Labs Low-Level Linked List
Language". Knowlton used L6 in animation work, but I believe not in
the original BEFLIX.

Doug