[TUHS] Book Recommendation [ reallly inscrutable languages ]

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Nov 20 06:14:47 AEST 2021

All the time.  A merge in BitKeeper (which is SCCS based, I rewrote SCCS
from scratch and evolved it quite a bit) is just a

get -e -ir1,r2,r3,r4

where the include list is all the revs on the branch being merged.

That's the beauty of SCCS that seems to be lost to the rest of the
world:  if someone added N bytes on the branch, the merge passes that
to the trunk by *reference*, every other SCM that is in current use
copies the branch data to the trunk.

Suppose Rob had done a bunch of important work on the branch, you had
done some work on the trunk, and for whatever reason, I merged Rob's
work.  Let's say everything automerged.  In SCCS or BitKeeper, the only
new data in the file is a merge node that says "Include all of Rob's
work".  In all other systems in use today, there would be a merge node
with another copy of Rob's work with me as the author because I did
the merge.  Blech.

Strangely enough, ClearCase has a weave format like SCCS and they could
have done merges by reference and they choose to copy it.  I dunno who
the idiot was that made that decision.

--
---