[TUHS] PL/I stuff - was: Book Recommendation

Alan Glasser alanglasser at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 08:33:01 AEST 2021

In my experience 9 track tapes were not guaranteed to be readable after some interval. In fact, a standard operations procedure was to copy important tapes to new media periodically.

I distinctly remember a rather catastrophic error in the AT&T Worldnet ISP mail system. It was running a third party email server product on a large cluster of big Sun boxes. A new release was installed. It had bugs and curdled all of the customers’ data. It got backed out and a huge restore from backup effort began, only to find that a bunch of recently written tapes were unreadable.  Needless to say, we had unhappy customers and, if I remember correctly, some very negative press in the WSJ and the NY Times.

 - Alan