[TUHS] PL/I stuff - was: Book Recommendation

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Sat Nov 27 10:01:13 AEST 2021

I've always felt a huge disconnect between the decus tape philosophy of
code, and the IBM approach of "this software feature costs you more" about
things like language extensions and -O(n) flags (to use modern c compiler
mental models)

I did find the hardware trick of detuning the clock to sell more boxes and
charging to remove the resistors also a bit iffy but I kind of understood
it. But, being asked by some major client (defence) to implement recursion
support and then charging everyone feels like the business model designed
to kick start people cutting their own code to stop depending in yours -and
I believe this is somewhat the story of university multi access systems on
IBM and these seven dwarf competitors. Burroughs by comparison had (I am
told, I didn't use them) shit hot code, the kernel was in a ci/cd
deployment framework with smarts. And DEC had the decus tapes and
everything in VMS was on microfiche.