[TUHS] A New History of Modern Computing - my thoughts

Rob Pike robpike at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 07:07:57 AEST 2021

Is there a symbiosis between C and the PDP-11 instruction set? The
machine was vital to C and Unix's success, but primarily due to the
availability of a department-sized machine. Was the instruction set a
significant component? Most Unix programmers wrote little to no
assembly, although perhaps more read what came out of the compiler.
But did it matter? Auto-increment and -decrement are often cited in
this story, but they are not that important, really, and were around
well before the PDP-11 made its appearance.

I'm curious to hear arguments on either side.

-rob