[TUHS] A language question

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Sep 2 00:29:36 AEST 2021

We know that SIGABRT was once SIGIOT, which was what PDP-11 Unix reported
if the code executed an IOT instruction (which was all that abort() did).
IOT was a trap instruction used by the aboriginal PDP-11 Paper Tape
Software in order to communicate with device drivers.  Later DEC OSes used
EMT and Unix used TRAP, because the manual said it was for "user traps" and
Unix is a user operating system.  At some point it seemed stupid to someone
to call the user-level routine abort() and the signal SIGIOT, and so added
SIGABRT as a synonym.  Not really an answer, but that's all I have.